Tuesday 31 January 2017

Moonlight

I'd heard a lot of good things about this movie so I was looking forward to seeing it. It was another Cineworld Unlimited screening but it was quite a low turnout. I think this is one of those films that not many people know about - it's kind of off the big-movie radar.

The movie follows Chiron from childhood through his teen years into adulthood. He has a fractured relationship with his mother (a drug addict), and he's bullied from a young age as he grapples to understand his sexuality. You can really feel his pain and one word that kept going round and round in my head was "suppression". He continually suppresses his feelings and his true self until as a teenager he snaps and attacks his tormentor (I did a little cheer at that point). As an adult, he says he had to build himself "from the ground up, hard".

Although it was a little slow at times, I found it quite captivating - there was something quite real and raw about the performances. Three different actors played Chiron throughout the movie (at different stages in his life) but I thought they all genuinely felt like the same person and I really got a sense of his hurt. Subtly powerful and an important watch.

My rating: 3.5/5 ★

No comments:

Post a Comment