Tuesday 24 January 2017

Hacksaw Ridge

Holy crap, I was not prepared for the level of violence in this movie. I was lulled into a false sense of security at the beginning; in fact it was all a bit cheese on toast. I found myself cringing a little at Andrew Garfield as he awkwardly lisped his way into a girl's heart. Then he decides he wants to fight for his country, without touching a single weapon. It just all seemed a little twee at first. Even when he joined the army, the other soldiers seemed to be almost like caricatures; all the stereotypes were there and some of their lines seemed too scripted.

Then... WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM. V I O L E N C E!

Good grief, it was violent. It went from 0 to 3432141 in 0.2 seconds and I felt like I was on the verge of an anxiety attack for the second half. There were so many close ups of people getting shot and stabbed and blasted into oblivion. I guess it was really trying to show you how utterly horrendous the war was, and it definitely succeeded! I just think a higher certificate would have made me a little more prepared for it.

Amazing that it was a true story though, and the real footage at the end did make me well up a bit. Just far too violent for me. I had to go home and watch some Kardashians to lower my blood pressure.

My rating: 2.5 ★

No comments:

Post a Comment