Monday 9 January 2017

La La Land

"City of stars, are you shining just for me?"

(I've had this song stuck in my head since I saw this movie last night, and I am fully okay with that.)

Oh, what a beautiful, charming, magical movie. I looooved this.

The story follows aspiring actress Mia (Emma Stone) and musician Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) as they meet, fall in love, and face difficult decisions in the pursuit of their dreams. Mia has to contend with multiple unsuccessful auditions and uninterested casting agents alongside serving coffee to the stars in a Hollywood Studios coffee shop. Sebastian is a passionate lover of all things jaz jazz and dreams of opening a jazz club - he just wants to tinkle those ivories playing the music he loves, taking on lousy jobs in the meantime to make ends meet.

First of all, I thought both these actors were perfect for their parts. They just work, these two. They look good together, they have chemistry, they're believable, they're likeable. Emma Stone is beautiful and charismatic, but in a reserved, endearing way that makes her relatable and real. Ryan Gosling, well, let's just take a moment to appreciate Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling, playing a piano... He does that whole old school understated charm thing so well, able to portray so much with just one look.

The movie is just full of glorious, visually stunning scenes, one of my favourites being the one just after they first meet where they dance and sing together overlooking the city. The colours and backdrops are so beautiful and vivid. I found myself just staring wide eyed at the screen with a big smile on my face throughout the whole thing, and I kept having to stop myself from giving a round of applause after each musical number, I was so engrossed.

What a perfectly lovely antidote to all the horrible things happening in the world right now. A beautiful piece of cinema escapism. I want to watch it all over again already!

My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment